Thursday, September 20, 2007

understanding death, dying and bereavement

That was today's class. It’s a sort of psychology of death; I haven't the words to begin to describe how fascinating it is. Today was particularly intense, being it's only my third week of school, and so I actually haven't seen anything yet! Anyway, today my fellow class mates were sharing their own personal experiences of grieving and coping with having lost a loved one, from nursing a sick mother till she passed away in her bed, to having to make the decision of pulling the plug from their sister's life support, to suddenly losing a husband or embalming and burying ones own father or losing a newborn baby. It was extremely touching, I could barely hold back the tears, in fact one lonely and silent one rolled down my cheek, it made a little splash on my note book, I was deeply moved and impressed by these stories. It came to me, and I had nothing to share, my mother and father are well, so are all my aunts, uncles and many cousins, my grandma is over 90 and still gardening and swimming her laps in the pool, my brothers are in their prime, and all my friends lead healthy and good lives, I'm very fortunate that way... very blessed indeed. In all my life I've only lost loved and adored pets, and that's the only way I could relate to them, but I couldn't very well describe losing my dog, right after the person next to me explained how here sister out of nowhere collapsed in her arms, and moments later was declared brain dead, now could I?

I thank my classmates for sharing their very deep and personal experiences today, and it makes me recognize and be even more grateful of how blessed I am, and how important it is to live life to it's fullest, every moment of it, because you just don't know when it will end, it may sound like a cliche', but it's so true!

1 comment:

scarlet reynolds said...

Yes we do feel great sadness about the tragic deaths and any caring person will for his beloved one.

funeral directors